13.3.13


Morning Meditation At Chithurst
You will not be surprised to learn that it is generally very quiet in a monastery, but this does have the effect of amplifying every single careless door slam or unmindfully loud conversations that seem to grate more intensely in such a peaceful setting. The aura of Cittaviveka does lead one to be more careful and quiet but it is easy to forget oneself at times, the Buddha taught us to constantly practice awareness not just in the meditation hall but in all we do. Walk in meditation, wash up in meditation and observe constantly the flux, within and without.
monastery life (22).jpg
The meditation Hall at Cittaviveka
Rude Awakenings
The tapping on the brass bell in the hallway although intense, began quietly and crescendoed to a sleep depriving tone, the vibration of which filled my head and I awoke to the pre-dawn darkness. It was 4am. For all my faults I do always give everything I've got to what I'm doing and was determined to make the most of this opportunity; although it's not a rule at Citteviveka to attend the morning chanting and meditation, it is encouraged to live as the monks do, as much as possible. I was exited anyway and really looking forward to meditating with the pro's. It would be fair to say that if I was into football this would be the equivalent of having a kick about with the Chelsea team. I donned my kit, a Sports Direct track suit with a large monk like hood, my trusty old Indian blanket and a pair of fake crocs. In haste I neglected to wash, or brush my teeth and made my way to the meditation hall. First along the dark corridor and down the stairs, passed the brass prostrate Buddha who smiled serenely at me tiptoeing over the creaky boards towards the aromatic vestibule. I ventured out into the early dawn crunching along the gravel drive through crisp cold air, the stars still twinkling above. The birds weren't even awake as I put my hand to the door of the beautiful meditation hall. The interior was dimly lit and impeccably clean, I selected a mat and cushion then made my way through the frosted glass doors into the hall, I was the first to arrive and had time to quietly take it all in.
The meditation Hall

At the opposite end of the hall was a beautifully lit Buddha statue surrounded with fresh flowers, it had been hewn delicately from white stone and was roughly 2 meters high in the sitting position. I felt an atmosphere of benevolence that years of sincere and focused practice had invoked. The building was of strong traditional oak construction, the ceilings rose high above me with all the rafters and beams exposed. The east wall consisted mainly of glass, with high windows and seperate doors for the monks to enter in by, I could see their cushions and mats in a line flanking the west wall in front of the Buddha. Faced with this large clear floor the question arose in me as to where I should sit. Normally I would situate myself somewhere out of the way and inconspicuous but that morning I chose to get up close to the statue and near the monks, I wanted to be near them and meditate with them, be part of it and not just observe, so I took courage. I placed my mat right in front of the Buddha, sat down and began to meditate. Gradually the sounds of people began to appear, doors opening and closing, mats being placed, knees cracking, feet shuffling, robes rustling. I resisted the temptation to peak and continued to practice. After a short while the chanting began, I remained still and let the sounds of the ancients engulf me, the light of the candles flickered through my eyelids and I began the practice of sweeping through my body, observing the sensations that arose. I felt that I could have been in any monastery at any point in history. After about an hour the monks ceased chanting and began to meditate, we would continue until 7:30, after which the monks quietly shuffled out and I was to report to the work monk to be allocated my duties for the day. I walked out slowly and mindfully, it was now light and the birds were singing gleefully.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Comments Welcome